Kardamyli: holidays between the sea and Taygetos mountain
Kardamyli is a place with history that has the towering Taygetos on the one side and beautiful lacy coasts on the other. This part of Messinian Mani is endowed with the picturesque village with stone houses, wonderful beaches and an old town that you think came from Sicily.
The stone houses and tower houses of the 19th century challenge you to walk around Kardamyli to explore and discover nice restaurants and cafes in the narrow streets. I, who like history, discovered in the square busts of Theodoros Kolokotronis and Panagiotis Troupakis - Mourtzinos, head of the Troupakis family during the Revolution of 1821.
The beaches are all pebbly, the largest being Ritsa. But also inside Kardamyli, a spot for plunging is the pier where there is also a small beach next to which you can go swim.
At the pier for plunging
There is another very small one next to the Liakoto hotel. To go to the beaches go down the street from Panagia church and follow the seaside road. You will come across small beaches with rocks until you reach Ritsa. There somewhere you will also see the stone towers, a very nice sight that is worth admiring. I also happened to meet the man who makes them who told me that he has imitators who make smaller towers.
The stone towers
On the seaside road there are canteens and taverns to combine swimming with food. I write more about where to eat below.
On the way to Ritsa there are several places to eat
In Old Kardamyli you will find the most important attraction in Messinian Mani, the Mourtzinos Tower with the fortified complex of Mourtzinos - Troupakis.
Another interesting place to walk is the old customs office.
The old customs office
The nightlife of Kardamyli is peaceful with food, relaxed drink and ice cream. It is 3½ hours from Athens, while the distance between Kardamyli and Stoupa is 10 minutes. Read about how to get to Kardamyli.
Where to eat
- Tikla near the sea, traditional greek cuisine coupled with modern
- Harilaos near the sea, greek dishes in variations by the chef, plenty of fish on the menu
At Kardamyli pier: Harilaos on the right, Tikla in the middle and Aquarella on the left
- Lela's Taverna near the sea, creative cuisine with pure local ingredients
- Palaia Kardamyli homemade food next to the castle in a courtyard with a view and big trees
Palaia Kardamyli restaurant
- Dioskouroi with an amazing view to the sea and the old customs office of Kardamyli. Selected meat and seafood dishes but definitely try the Mani salad
- Ice cream at Lolo handmade ice cream with original flavours
- for coffee at Aquarella a wonderful space by the sea
On the seaside road to Ritsa
- Gialos homemade food on the beach of Kardamyli
- Galazio traditional flavours and snacks for after swimming
- Elies a courtyard with olives at Ritsa beach, traditional recipes with meat, fish and vegetables, rich menu of appetizers
Where to stay in Kardamyli
- Hotel Liakoto a hotel by the sea. It offers breakfast, swimming pool and rooms with sea view
- Diapori Suites luxurious accommodation with suites and rooms with sea view and stairs to the beach and the old customs office